Associate Training Program
JAMFACTORY ASSOCIATE TRAINING PROGRAM
JamFactory is a unique cultural organisation promoting good design and fine craftsmanship through its widely acclaimed studios, galleries and shops. It is an iconic institution within South Australia and is recognised nationally and internationally as a centre for excellence. Since its establishment by the South Australian Government in 1973, JamFactory has been presenting outstanding exhibitions and public programs, nurturing the careers of talented artists, craftspeople and designers and supporting the incomes of entrepreneurial designer-makers.
Associate Training Program
JamFactory’s Associate Training Program provides high-level skills and business training for artists, craftspeople and designers working in the areas of Ceramics, Glass, Furniture or Metal Design. Associates spend two years developing their own work under the guidance and mentorship of accomplished creative staff while gaining specialised knowledge and expertise through collaborative work on JamFactory projects, products and commissions. Further mentoring and critique is provided through visiting artists and designers and through a process of peer to peer learning.
As a JamFactory Associate you will:
• Improve your design, making and business skills
• Further develop your own work and creative identity
• Enhance your presentation and communication skills
• Increase your profile and expand your professional networks
• Be exposed to significant career development opportunities
• Have access to outstanding specialist facilities
Key activities as a JamFactory Associate include:
• Working with creative staff to develop a tailored two-year work plan that is reviewed every six months to ensure personal goals are being met.
• Working on design, development and production of real projects, products and commissions within a successful and highly collaborative studio environment.
• Actively participating in day to day maintenance, improvement and operation of the studio.
• Developing new individual work for potential sale through JamFactory shops with the opportunity to formally present work for consideration every two months.
• Developing new individual work for potential exhibition at JamFactory or elsewhere.
Entry into the program is highly competitive with applicants usually having completed tertiary level study in one of the four studio areas or a closely related art or design discipline. Applications are shortlisted and interviews are conducted to select up to four Associates within each studio each year.
Fees and Income
The cost to JamFactory of each Associate position is between $15,000 and $20,000 per annum. This cost is covered by a partial subsidy from Arts SA and through commercial activity undertaken in each studio. An annual administration fee of $1,100 is payable by each Associate (this fee can be paid in advance, or as a deduction from income earned in the program). Associates receive income from commercial work undertaken in the studios and from the delivery of workshops and public programs. Associates are encouraged to use the facilities to generate additional income through sales of work (through JamFactory shops or other outlets) and private commissions. International applicants pay a fee of $11,000 per annum.
Apply Now! Applications close 31 August
If you would like to apply, please contact the Creative Director of the studio you are interested in to find out more before submitting a written application.
Damon Moon, Ceramics Studio: firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Cunningham, Glass Studio: email@example.com
Jon Goulder, Furniture Design Studio: firstname.lastname@example.org
Christian Hall, Metal Design Studio: email@example.com
Learn about JamFactory and view past Associate testimonials with links to the following videos: